SEO keywords are the key words and phrases in your content that make it possible for people to find your site via search engines. A website that is well optimized for search engines "speaks the same language" as its potential visitor base with keywords for SEO that help connect searchers to your site.
Keyword research is one of the most important, valuable, and high return activities in the search marketing field. Research should be performed continuously.
Publishers are encouraged to leverage the Google Search Console or free online tools in efforts to identify keywords relevant to their audience in efforts to effectively build an SEO content strategy.
Analyze keywords you are ranking for, identify your average position, your click through rate, and identify where you can find room for improvement. 30% click-through rates for a particular keyword means you’re doing well. 40%+ click-through rates you’re doing exceptionally well.
Also important to identify keywords that people may have searched with that did not get any results ie. things people were expecting but did not find on your site.
A publisher attempting to optimize their posts should consider doing most if not all of the following:
- Using the keyword in the title of the page
- Using the keyword in the URL
- Using the keyword, and variations throughout the page copy
- Using the keyword in the SEO description
- Using the keyword in any image file paths and in the images' alt text
Here are some things to consider when evaluating keywords:
- Is the keyword relevant to your website’s content? What would a user find if they searched by these keywords on your site?
- Is the keyword heavily used by sites that are much larger than yours? Can you be successful competing?
- Testing keywords is very important. It is encouraged that sites buy a sample campaign for a keyword at Google Adwords to confirm what the value may be for their site.