Articles balance a beautiful reader experience with significant monetization opportunity.
There are two ways to create an article within the CMS.
Option 1: Via the CMS Navigation
An Author or Editor can create an Article from the "Create Content" prompt in navigation menu and select "article" from the available options.
Option 2: Via Manage Articles
An Author or Editor can create an article from the "Create Article" shortcut available in the upper right-hand corner of the Manage Articles page.
General Fields and Definitions
For a list of standard fields across all content types, please see Tempest CMS Fields and Definitions.
In paragraph Editing Tools: Refers to the options that appear upon hover when highlighting a piece of text.
- Hyperlink: Note there is additionally a No Follow option with hyperlinks. To apply the "nofollow" attribute to your link, simply add the destination URL within the window and click "No Follow." According to Google's guidelines, "Nofollow" provides a way for webmasters to tell search engines "Don't follow links on this page" or "Don't follow this specific link." Typically used within the context of sponsored posts.
Block Editing Tools: Refers to the options that appear upon hover when selecting the pencil icon in the bottom right of the paragraph.
- Make header (H2, H3, and H4 supported)
- Make blockquote
We support the following embed types on Tempest:
- Photo - This is just a basic photo embed. Users can also embed multiple images into the post at a time.
- Gallery - There are two gallery options, photo and content gallery. The photo gallery is intended to showcase photos with short captions; the photo is kind. The content gallery is intended to support both images and longer form content in a slideshow format.
- Embed (Third Party Embed) - This is for videos, iframes, scripts and/or other special embed types.
- Table - We now support a table embed option in Tempest which is organic to the platform, meaning, this is our table offering.
- Video - This is for embedding video content items published on Tempet.
How to Embed
The workflow is pretty simple:
- Click into an empty paragraph, hover
- In the right hand you will see a + icon
- Click on the + icon which will open up a menu of embed options
- Select the embed option you want to use
- Add the embed, edit the content etc
Exclusive Content: Only visible if Paywall is configured. Where you mark if an item is behind paywall.
- Promo Image: Used for hubs across site. If no image added here, image will be pulled from configured Featured Image. If no Featured Image configured, then will be the top most image embedded in article.
- Promo Title: Used for hubs across site. Article Title used if left empty.
- Teaser: Used for hubs across site as alternative to Dek. Dek used if left empty.
- Meta Title: Title used in search engine results.
- Meta Description: Description used in search engine results.
Meta (some Meta fields are required, an asterisk * denotes a required field)
- Primary Section:* Primary sections are the main categories associated with articles and are a requirement. Keep in mind that a section cannot be updated once an article is published.
- Additional Sections:
- Rich Tags:
- Slug:* the slug is used to create the article's unique path/URL, it will be the final portion of the article's path. Every article needs a slug and every path must be unique.
- Exclude from Homepage: Deprecated. In progress of being removed.
- Latitude and Longitude: Deprecated. In progress of being removed.
- See full guide on setting up a Sponsorship here.
- Override Canonical URL: If the item was previously published somewhere else, you add the canonical URL here.
- Do Not Index This Page: Check this box to keep the page from being indexed.
- Instant Articles Enabled: Instant Articles must be configured and once that has been done, this box will be automatically checked for newly published articles. It will need unchecked if you do not want the item published as an IA. For older items, previously published before IA was enabled, the box will need to be checked and the article updated.
- Comments Enabled: Checked by default if Disqus enabled for site.
- Is Promoted: Will display title and dek larger in hubs configured to display promoted content larger.
Versioning and Publication