Articles balance a beautiful reader experience with significant monetization opportunity.
There are two ways to create an article within the CMS.
Option 1: Via the CMS Navigation
An Author or Editor can create an article from the "Create Content" prompt in navigation menu.
To do this, click the large Tempest symbol in the upper left corner of the page and click the blue "Create Content" button in the menu that opens. Then select "Article" from the available options that appear on the next screen.
Option 2: Via Manage Articles
An Author or Editor can also create an article from the Manage Articles page.
If you are not currently on this page, click the large Tempest symbol in the upper left corner of your screen and select "Articles" from the menu that appears.
Once you are on the Manage Articles page, simply select the blue "Create Article" button in the upper right corner of the page. This will bring you to an article template.
General Fields and Definitions
For a list of standard fields across all content types, please see Tempest CMS Fields and Definitions.
In-paragraph Editing Tools: Refers to the options that appear upon hover when highlighting a piece of text.
- Hyperlink: Note there is additionally a "No Follow" option with hyperlinks. To apply the "nofollow" attribute to your link, simply add the destination URL within the window and click "No Follow." According to Google's guidelines, "No Follow" provides a way for webmasters to tell search engines "Don't follow links on this page" or "Don't follow this specific link." This is typically used within the context of sponsored posts.
Block Editing Tools: Refers to the options that appear upon hover when selecting the pencil icon in the bottom right of the paragraph.
- Bulleted list
- Numbered list
- Header (H2, H3, and H4 are supported)
We support the following embed types on Tempest:
- Media (Photos and Videos) - This is a basic tool for embedding photos stored in your Media Library on Tempest. It also allows users to embed multiple images into the post at a time.
- This is for embedding video content items published on Tempest. These are the videos stored in your Media Library. To see more information on how to embed videos, click here. To see more information on how to embed images, click here.
- Gallery - There are two gallery options, photo and content gallery. The photo gallery is intended to showcase photos with short captions. The content gallery is intended to support both images and longer form content in a slideshow format. To see more information on how to embed galleries, click here.
- Embed (Third Party Embed) - This is for videos, iframes, scripts and/or other special embed types. To see more information on how to embed third party content, click here.
- Table - This is a basic spreadsheet-based table for presenting data. To see more information on how to embed tables, click here.
How to Embed
- Click into an empty paragraph, hover
- In the right hand you will see a + icon
- Click on the + icon which will open up a menu of embed options
- Select the embed option you want to use
- Add the embed and edit the content if necessary
Settings and Configuration
Settings for content can be configured in the drop-down menus beneath the content template.
Where you mark if an item is behind paywall (note that this is only visible if a paywall is configured).
- Promo Image: Used for hubs across the site. If no image added here, image will be pulled from configured Featured Image. If no Featured Image configured, then will be the top most image embedded in article.
- Promo Title: Used for hubs across site. Article Title used if left empty.
- Teaser: Used for hubs across site as alternative to Dek. Dek used if left empty.
- Meta Title: Title used in search engine results.
- Meta Description: Description used in search engine results.
Meta (some Meta fields are required; an asterisk * denotes a required field)
- *Author: This is the author of the article. The drop-down displays the names of Author Profiles published for the site.
- *Primary Section: This is the main section on the site the article will be sorted into and displayed on. Keep in mind that a primary section cannot be updated once an article is published, though additional sections can still be added.
- Additional Sections: This is an additional section in which the article will displayed.
- Rich Terms: These are used to tag your article. This drop-down displays the Rich Terms currently added to your site. For information on adding and editing Rich Terms, click here.
- *Slug: the slug is used to create the article's unique URL path; it will be the final portion of the article's URL. Every article needs a slug and every path must be unique.
- Latitude and Longitude: These options are currently deprecated and are in the process of being removed.
Partners can leverage the Sponsored Posts product in partnership with the Tempest Solutions team or for their own direct sales efforts. See more information on Sponsored posts here.
- Activate Sponsorship: This indicates that the article is a Sponsored Post
- Sponsorship ID: This is the ID for the sponsorship
- Pageview Pixel(s): Any third party tracking or view pixels
- Badge: This is the logo badge image
- URL: This is the click-through URL for the logo badge and sponsorship branding
See a full guide on Sponsorship settings for articles and how to use them here.
- Override Canonical URL: If the item was previously published somewhere else, add the canonical URL here.
- No Index, No Follow Setting: This provides options for whether or not search engines should index and/or follow links from the page
- Instant Articles Enabled: Before Instant Articles can be enabled in Tempest, they must first be registerd and configured within the Facebook Instant Articles environment (click here for more information). Once that has been done, this box will be automatically checked for newly published articles. It will need to be unchecked if you do not want the item published as an IA. For older items previously published before IA was enabled, the box will need to be checked and the article updated for it to register as an Instant Article.
- Comments Enabled: Checked by default if Disqus is enabled for site.
- Is Promoted: This will display the title and dek of the article larger in hubs configured to display promoted content at a larger size.