Infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data, or knowledge intended to present information quickly and clearly. They can improve cognition by utilizing graphics to enhance the human visual system's ability to see patterns and trends.
Why Should You Create Infographics?
- Infographics increase Time on Page.
- Infographics are shareable on social media.
- Infographics are uploaded just like a photo and can show up in google image results.
- Most readers are scanning the page for the clearest answer to their search question. As a result, infographics can decrease the percentage of people who will feel the need to read a competitor's article on the same topic.
- Having alt text and captions on your infographics can increase keyword use and improve SEO.
- In some instances, an infographic can capture the featured snippet.
- Infographics can double as a space for call outs for "finding out more" on another article, video, etc.
Types of Infographics
There are many different types of infographics. Most image editing websites have templates for creating infographics. Below, you will find five examples of the most frequently used types. (These were made using the infographics templates on Canva.)
Best Practices and When to Use Infographics
- Vary the colors and shapes that you use to draw the eye in and create a nice scannable flow.
- Space out info so that you don't have large blocks of text.
- Infographics tell a story using data. Make sure the images you use help to get that story across.
- It's recommended that you spruce up evergreen content on a yearly basis. Infographics are a great way to add additional content without overhauling the article too much.
- Infographics are a great way to reach readers on the go (or with shorter attention spans) when writing longer, more detailed, and in-depth articles dealing with complex issues or statistics.
Photo Editing and Infographic Creation Sites
The sites below all provide templates for infographics, including: timelines, statistics, processes, data, education, charity, and more. The one you choose will simply depend on which graphics you prefer and how much you're willing to spend.